Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Star Tribune MN smoking survey and my "redrant"

First the story link. I tried to post in the comments section but I kept getting a "cannot connect" message. http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/28119824.html?page=1&c=y

Here is my posting aka "redrant". I don't doubt a drop overall but I would have to see the details of the survey.

As for the overall state rate there was a strong demographic attrition of the "greatest generation" that fought in WWII. Let's say the typical WWII vet was born in 1920. By 2000 they would be eighty years old. My father, who smoked died in 2003 at age 85. Males especially, of my father's age had a very high rate of smokers.

Next off, as smoking is becoming more demonised people may be less likely to admit to smoking if they do smoke. I've talked to a number of "chippers" (occasional smokers) who claim they don't smoke because they can go all week without smoking. Higher prices and smoking restrictions might increase the number of "chippers" who would deny they smoke or refuse to participate in the survey.

This might be like a survey of illegal drug use or binge drinking. Accurate answers require trust in the survey and it's confidentiality and smokers already have a "tension" with the anti-smoking forces. Will "big brother" get your survey answers?
Restriction indeed cause some reduction in smoking but they cause a "tension" with the survey takers which could skew results.


Costs reduce smoking some but there are ways around this. I see non-big tobacco brands for under $30 per carton. Out of state might be cheaper.


http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/cigarett.html

I have heard that reservation cigs are cheaper and there are internet sales and "roll your own" are well under $10 per carton. Someone taking these routes might be less inclined to cooperate with the survey. I don't smoke but I have been told the "small tobacco" brands are pretty good. The actual cost of the tobacco is a very small portion of the final cost for a carton so quality comes cheap, at least here in the US. The point being that a smoker that gets "creative" may be less likely to cooperate with a survey.

Finally, smokers might react with "alternatives" which they might not share with the survey. Here is a story link "Decline is cigarette sales offset by use of alternative products. http://www.smokingmad.com/decline-in-cigarette-sales-offset-by-use-of-alternative-products.html

No comments: